Ewing Kindergarten believes your privacy is important and has a Privacy and Confidentiality Policy that illustrates how we collect, use, disclose, manage and transfer personal information, including health information.
To ensure ongoing funding and licensing, our kindergarten is required to comply with the requirements of privacy legislation in relation to the collection and use of personal information. If we need to collect health information, our procedures are subject to the Health Records Act 2001.
How and why we collect information
Ewing Kindergarten will only collect the information needed, and for which there is a purpose that is legitimate and related to the kindergarten’s functions, activities and/or obligations.
The type of information collected and held includes (but is not limited to) personal information, including health information, regarding:
- children and parents/guardians prior to and during the child’s attendance at a kindergarten (this information is collected in order to provide and/or administer services to children and parents/guardians)
- job applicants, employees, members, volunteers and contractors (this information is collected in order to manage the relationship and fulfil the service’s legal obligations)
- contact details of other parties that the kindergarten deals with.
Ewing Kindergarten will collect information on the following identifiers:
- information required to access the Kindergarten Fee Subsidy for eligible families (refer to Fees Policy)
- tax file number for all employees, to assist with the deduction and forwarding of tax to the Australian Tax Office – failure to provide this would result in maximum tax being deducted
Personal information about individuals, either in relation to themselves or their children enrolled at the kindergarten, will generally be collected via forms filled out by parents/guardians. Other information may be collected from job applications, face-to-face interviews and telephone calls. Individuals from whom personal information is collected will be provided with a copy of Ewing Kindergarten’s Privacy Statement.
Use of information
Ewing Kindergarten will use personal information collected for the primary purpose of collection. The kindergarten may also use this information for any secondary purposes directly related to the primary purpose of collection, to which the individual has consented, or could reasonably be expected to consent. The following list identifies the personal information that will be collected by the kindergarten, the primary purpose for its collection and some examples of how this information will be used.
Personal and health information collected in relation to:
|Primary purpose of collection:||
Examples of how the kindergarten will use personal and health, (including sensitive) information include:
|Children and parents/guardians||
|The Approved Provider if an individual, or members of the Committee of Management/Board if the Approved Provider is an organisation||
|Job applicants, employees, contractors, volunteers and students||
Storage and security of personal information
In order to protect the personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, the Approved Provider and staff will ensure that, in relation to personal information:
access will be limited to authorised staff, the Approved Provider or other individuals who require this information in order to fulfil their responsibilities and duties
- information will not be left in areas that allow unauthorised access to that information
- all materials will be physically stored in a secure cabinet or area
- computerised records containing personal or health information will be stored safely and secured with a password for access
- there is security in transmission of the information via email, fax or telephone, as detailed below:
- emails will only be sent to a person authorised to receive the information
- telephone – limited and necessary personal information will be provided over the telephone to persons authorised to receive that information
- transfer of information interstate and overseas will only occur with the permission of the person concerned or their parents/guardians.
Disposal of information
Personal information will not be stored any longer than necessary.
In disposing of personal information, those with authorised access to the information will ensure that it is either shredded or destroyed in such a way that the information is no longer accessible