Ewing Kindergarten was established in February 1946 by the Ewing Memorial Church congregation who were keen to provide pre-schoolers in the East Malvern community with a stimulating social and educational environment and to assist mothers in the community by catering for their pre-schoolers.
To this day, Ewing Kindergarten has been continuously educating generations of Stonnington’s children and recently received the highest ranking of ‘exceeding’ in the National Quality Standards for its education and care.
We are a not-for-profit kinder, which leases it facilities from Stonnington Community Uniting Church (formerly known as Ewing Uniting Church) located on Burke Rd, Malvern East. The Church has no role in the management of the kindergarten but is a supportive and friendly landlord.
At Ewing Kindergarten…
- We aim to create a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment where all children and families feel a sense of belonging. We want them to feel accepted, supported, respected and valued.
- We know that families are the most important people in children’s lives.
- We value building strong connections within our community.
- We build on children’s strengths and interests, which allows them to become successful, competent and capable learners.
- We believe children’s learning and development is best supported through meaningful and engaged play.
- We support children in becoming effective communicators; expressing themselves through various means, while gaining strong foundations in literacy and numeracy.
- We aim to empower children with the skills, learning dispositions and attitudes necessary for a happy, healthy and fulfilling life.
- We promote mutually respectful and rewarding relationships with people who are similar to and different from ourselves.
- We promote knowledge about and respect for the natural environment; including the importance of “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle”.
- We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as Australia’s First Peoples; respectfully weaving their ways of knowing and being throughout our program.
- We understand and respect that children learn at different rates and in different ways.
- We strive to deliver best practice in providing our educational programs.
- We acknowledge, respect and celebrate the cultural diversity within our community and beyond.
- We promote a lively culture of professional inquiry, ongoing learning and reflective practice; constantly striving for continuous improvement.
- We treasure the spontaneity, energy, curiosity, vibrancy and joy of childhood.